- 1 Gardenburger
- Olive oil spray
- pound whole-wheat pasta
- 1 jar fat free tomato sauce (8 ounce)
- or a Simple Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup mixed vegetables ½-inch dice
- cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Heat the Gardenburger(r) in a nonstick pan lightly sprayed with olive oil for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Prepare the whole-wheat pasta as suggested on the package. Heat the tomato sauce, then add the VeggiePack pieces and mushrooms. Simmer until the vegetables are crisp but tender (about 5 minutes).
- Place the pasta in serving dishes, then cover with the sauce and vegetable mixture. Toss lightly. Sprinkle the diced Gardenburger on top. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and minced parsley.
NOTES : The recipe below is similar to one we use when we are tempted to eat out. Have on hand a jar of low-fat marinara, veggie burgers, mixed frozen veggies, and pasta!
Note: Many of us have a love affair with pasta – I know I do. The secret to “real” pasta is to search out a reliable source of fresh or dry whole-grain pasta. Buying enriched pasta instead of whole-grain is like paying for an item at the market and only getting 20 percent of your change back. Would that make you feel enriched? “High five” for whole grains! Eating food created by nature is more than a smart choice, it’s the right choice!